Monday 11 April 2011

Trip to York

I just returned from a week's break in Yorkshire and can honestly say it is such a beautiful city! The Wall which runs around the city offers spectacular views, especially of the York Minster in the far background. The weather was wonderful, not a day when it rained which I've heard is a rare occurance in the North! The Minster in real life is as breath taking as I imagined from looking at the photos on the Internet before. Below are some images that I took and edited slightly in post production.

 (Aperture: f/7.1, Shutter Speed: 1/640 sec, ISO: 200)

(Aperture: f/11, Shutter Speed: 1/250 sec, ISO: 200)

(Aperture: f/7.1, Shutter Speed: 1/320 sec, ISO: 200)
I increased the red hues in this picture above and really feel it makes the building look almost Victorian and extremely gothic. The building is extremely angular and taken from this angle, it just looks so grand. 


After taking a few photos, I decided to start recreating the painting that I had found a few weeks ago online. Below was my first attempt:


It was extremely interesting to see how York has changed through the years since this original painting. As you can see, the obvious difference are the cars in contrast to the horse and carriages! There is also a lot more street furniture such as the lamp-post and road signs. For my image on the right, I used an aperture of 3.8, a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec and an ISO of 64. 

After recreating the first painting, I also tried to mimic another painting I had found, knowing beforehand it would have a completely different feel to it even though it was from the same angle. The painting was presumably taken at dusk after a heavy snowfall probably between the months of September and December. My photo on the right however was taken at around 5pm on a bright sunny day in the middle of April.


For the photo on the right, I used an aperture of 13, a shutter speed of 1/250 sec and an ISO of 200. I really like the photo as even though there isn't a strong shallow depth of field, there still appears to be many different layers to it. For example, it is clear that the path is very much in the foreground but then leads on to the buildings below in the middle ground, which then take you the York Minster standing tall in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment