Saturday 16 April 2011

Trip to Devon

As the weather recently has been particularly bright and sunny, I took it upon myself to book a trip to Devon for a couple of days as one of my flatmates at Brunel happens to live there and said I could come down. She lives in a small village called Combeinteignhead which is in a remote part of Devon, approximately a 45 minute drive from the city centre. The area was even more remote than Yorkshire, and the views from the hilltop where she lives were beautiful. I was shocked as to how quiet it was compared to London city, and we must have only passed one person in the whole two hours we were out in the fields. This is something that really struck me, even though my flatmate was used to it and didn't quite understand what I meant. Living my entire life in London, you become used to the hustle and bustle. Even at night, it felt strange without the sound of traffic being heard from outside the window. It became clear how isolated she was here and so I tried to capture this with my camera. Below are some photos I took when walking across the fields, trying to show how remote and desolate it is.


(Aperture: f/6.3, Shutter Speed: 1/125sec, ISO: 200)

(Aperture: f/4.5, Shutter Speed: 1/60sec, ISO: 200)

(Aperture: f/11, Shutter Speed: 1/60sec, ISO: 200)

This photo just above was taken on the south bank of the Teign esturary, with the Coombe Cellars restaurant on the right. It was strange that such a place could even afford to run here as literally noone lived within a 15 minute radius from this spot. It shows that this is probably just one of many hidden gems within Combeinteignhead and that the people who do live in this village have probably done so for a very long time and become very familiar with small places like this.

As we were walking away from the Coombe cellars, I noticed a sign not too far from it. It looked as if it had been there for many years and probably not many people took notice of it (my flatmate certainly walked past it!). It was clearly hand carved, nothing like the signs you get in central London, which is probably what I liked more about it. It was personal to this particular village and there was probably not another sign nearby like it. 

(Aperture: f/8, Shutter Speed: 1/320sec, ISO: 200)

No comments:

Post a Comment